Black Mesa (formerly Black Mesa: Source) is a Half-Life 2 total conversion remaking Valve Software’s award-winning PC game, Half-Life. Utilizing the Source engine, Black Mesa will reintroduce the player as Doctor Gordon Freeman, along with the original cast of memorable characters and environments seen in Half-Life.
Black Mesa was built and founded on the basis that Half-Life: Source was inadequate as the Source engine port of Half-Life, regardless of the intentions of Valve Software. As such, Black Mesa was founded to fully reconstruct the Half- Life universe utilizing Source to its fullest potential in terms of art detail, level sizes and code features. This total conversion will not require Half-Life: Source to play – only a copy of any Source Engine game installed on Steam.
It should be noted that the project is being built from the ground up and is not a simple port of Half Life maps and models into the Source Engine. The idea is to remake the storyline used in Half Life into a new polished Source Engine version with new models, maps, voice acting and textures.
- Play for free! You need not own anything!
- Explore well over 50 of the largest maps Source Engine can handle, spanning 18 chapters!
- Enjoy 17 Weapons and 28 Types of Enemies!
- Feast your eyes on over 2,000 custom models and 5,000 custom textures!
- Experience over 2,000 choreographed scenes and over 6,500 line of dialogue from all new voice acting!
- Immerse yourself in an all new soundtrack and over 2,300 custom sound effects!
- Feel the impact of custom systems such as the Face Creation System, Custom Gib System, Deathcam and more!